Friday, August 26, 2011

Spiders and showers

We try to live in harmony with Nature.

We think Ladybugs are lucky (especially for our plants). We enjoy watching fireflies and listening to crickets on summer evenings. We were awe-struck when a cicada emerged from its shell. We were very protective of the praying mantis that visited our porch for a week. Our favorite room at the Musuem was where real live butterflies landed on our children.

We are insects best advocates. We rescue earthworms from sidewalks where they could get squashed and move them to safer ground. Ants marching around outside are stepped over not on. Spiders visiting our house are gently captured and released back into the wild.

Yes, we are a very bug-tolerant family.

So imagine my remorse over the past several weeks, as I have unintentionally killed several spiders. These spiders have insisted on joining me in the shower. I close my eyes when I shower, because there is soap, shampoo, and conditioner involved. And there is water. Lots of water.

So Charlotte, please dont join me in the shower. You will be poisoned and drowned. I’m really sorry. I just can’t help it.

No comments:

Post a Comment