We had our little Earthquake, Hubby's building shook and they were sent home, and Hubby had a wait (just a little) while Amtrak fixed their schedule. No biggie for us.
We now have Hurricane Irene with her eye on us. Unfortunately, quite literally.
We’re lucky our town has a very pro-active Office of Emergency Management which has been issuing regular updates on the web and on our phones. About 1/3 to 1/2 of our town is under official MANDATORY evacuation orders, including the low-lying streets near the rivers, the lake, and the pond, although not our street. We are 1.5 miles from the shore and close to the water tower, which is the highest elevation in town.
Still, we’re expecting high winds, heavy rain, flooding, downed trees and power lines, and prolonged power outages. Gadget Guy & I are expecting some flooding in our yard and possibly the basement, plus a few hours of loss of power. Let’s hope the sump pump can keep pace with the water.
We’re stocked up and hunkered down. We all have suitcases packed if we need to evac quickly. If the projection for power loss is for days, we’ll head west.
We, of course, postponed Princess Imagination’s sleepover birthday party, scheduled for tonight. She turns 10 tomorrow. There were many tears, but she’s feeling better now.
Bumblebee is really wound up and having a tough time. He’s couped up in the house, his rountine is off and there is as much stress as humidity in the air. It’s going to be a looooooooooong night.
Water is already ponding (isn’t that a stupid word?) in the backyard. It’s about 9:45 now, and they are expecting the worst for us around 6:00 AM. Lord, please watch over the East Coast.