Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The earth moved, apparently

Yesterday was an average day at Chez Mominator:
Bumblebee was playing a Transformer game on his DS.
The Pink Ballerina was texting me that she was bored at camp.
Princess Imagination was looking up Karate classes on the computer.

My chair wobbled as I was working on the computer. Now that was odd. Did I just lose my balance? Silly me! I’m sitting in a chair, my feet on the floor, and my hands on the desk! How could I possibly lose my balance?

Moments later I seriously wobbled again. I felt tipsy, and wondered if I was getting drunk. Silly me again!! The strongest thing I had to drink all day was chocolate milk!

I looked around. All seemed fine, although the ribbon on my desk was moving gently.
My children were still wrapped up in their respective activities. Life went on.

About a half hour later Gadget Guy called. There was an earthquake. Are you all OK? His building in Philly shook and they were evacuated as a precaution. His co-workers could see neighboring building sway. They were allowed back in the building briefly to collect their belongings. They’re being sent home for the day while the building is inspected for damage. He’s been trying to call me for 30 minutes, but the cell lines were all tied up. He’s waiting at the train station, but the trains are delayed out of DC, and delaying all other lines as well. He’s fine, and he’ll get home when he can.

Later, I gathered up Bumblee and Princess Imagination to pick up the Pink Ballerina and Best Friend from camp. I told all four about the Earthquake. An Earthquake? We had an Earthquake and we totally missed it! Bummer.

Thank you, God. That was plenty enough of an earthquake for me.

1 comment:

  1. We had an earthquake here a few years ago that woke me up ... I felt the house JUMP and bang back onto its foundation.

    As you say ... earthquake enough for me!

    ReplyDelete