Sunday, August 18, 2013

My music has been picking up again lately...m

It is amazing how cyclical the arts can be, or at least, appreciation for the arts. In in the Post-9/11 world, people initially were very strong in the appreciation of the arts, most specifically in the hiring of artists. In those month, many bridal couples told me how much they weren't going to let the terrorist win: not by being afraid of what's to come, nor by cutting back on the wedding they've always dreamed of having.

Still, the war dragged on, and those resolutions were tested. In 2002 and 2003, we started to see a decline in the arts, weddings were less elaborate. But then, I saw increases in 2004, 2007, and 2008. Unfortunately, from 2009 through this year it has been a long, steady decline.

So I was very pleased when in early July, I played at a new (for me) church, a Methodist church just about 1 mile from my house. The congregation is small, maybe 50-60 people, but I knew many of them.

Early August, I was in the recording session for our church's wedding musicians.

Mid-August, I was back at the Episcopal Church that calls me 2 or 3 times a year (I'm considered a "friend" of that church).

I will be playing a wedding next weekend: flute, violin, piano, and voice. The pianist, the Lady, has given us free reign for the prelude, and it will be all duets for flute and violin. I've had two rehearsals with the violinist, and many phone calls and emails, working out which arrangements of which pieces. Although that is a lot of time to spend on one wedding, I consider the time an investment. I really like the violinist and I hope that we can work together more.

So imagine my surprise when I just got a call for another wedding on the following weekend: also flute, violin, organ, and voice. The bride called because the singer and organist recommended me. The bride had two names of violinists from the singer. I recommended my violinist, especially since we will be doing the wedding a week before this one, and she was hired. We will be working with the Man, the other organist for our parish. The Man does most of the weddings and funerals for our parish. Since we have two churches in our parish, each organist is busy on Sunday.

Hubby sometimes considers my flute playing a hobby. Now he is starting to appreciate the income more.

No comments:

Post a Comment